- Gordmans, Inc., a Nebraska-based apparel and home décor retailer, continues its rapid growth across the country with the opening of a 50,000-square-foot store in Valparaiso, Ind. The store will open September 26 at Porter’s Vale Shopping Center, 710 Porter’s Vale Boulevard (State Road 49 & State Road 2).
- The retailer brings a better way to shop to Valparaiso. At Gordmans, new merchandise arrives daily offering an incredible selection of today’s latest brands, fashions and styles in apparel and home décor, big savings of up to 60% off department and specialty store prices every day, and outstanding guest service.
- Gordmans’ department store quality merchandise includes name brand apparel for all ages, footwear, handbags, fragrances, accessories, wall art, accent furniture, tabletop décor, floral and garden, candles, toys and more.
- As a fast-growing publicly traded Company, Gordmans currently operates 90 stores in 52 markets and 19 states. Gordmans grew its store base 12 percent in 2012 by adding nine stores. Ten new Gordmans stores are planned for this year; seven of them have opened in Albuquerque, N.M.; Louisville, Ky.; Milwaukee; Minot, N.D.; Peoria, Ill.; and Salt Lake City and Provo, Utah.
- In September, in addition to the Valparaiso location, Gordmans is opening a second store in Albuquerque and one in Green Bay, Wis.
- Including these locations, Gordmans will have expanded its store base by nearly 40% over a three-year period and will end this year with 93 stores in 19 states.
Gordmans to Create Approximately 100 Jobs for the Valparaiso Community
- Gordmans offers an engaging and energetic work environment. The retailer’s 5,000 associates are deeply committed to Gordmans’ mission: “To delight our guests with big savings, big selection and fun, friendly associates.”
- Gordmans is hiring approximately 100 associates for the Valparaiso store. Interested candidates may apply online at Gordmans.com/Careers.
Valparaiso Store Grand Opening Schedule
Gordmans’ Porter’s Vale Shopping Center Store Opens: September 26, 2013, 9 a.m.
Grand Opening Celebration: October 4-6, 2013
Store Hours: 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. daily
Gordmans’ other Indiana stores:
- 214 Gable Crossing Drive (Rockville Road & Raceway) in Avon
- 945 East Lewis & Clark Parkway at River Falls Mall in Clarksville (Opened July 25, 2013)
- 6200 East Lloyd Expressway (State Route 66 & Burkhardt Road) in Evansville
- 902 Thomas Road (off Illinois Road across from Jefferson Point) in Fort Wayne
- 100 South Creasy Lane at Lafayette Pavilions (Highway 26 & South Creasy Lane) in Lafayette
- 4430 Grape Road in Mishawaka
In addition, Gordmans is building a 545,000-square-foot distribution center in the greater Indianapolis area. Including construction and equipment costs, this distribution center represents a total capital investment of $37.5 million, and it will create up to 250 jobs by 2017.
- President and CEO Jeff Gordman has positioned the Company for continued success. Founded in 1915 as a family-owned business, Jeff’s grandfather, Dan Gordman, was innovative in leading the Company – he helped pioneer the idea of the racetrack-shopping configuration, making it easy to navigate a big-box store. He also introduced centralized checkouts, shopping carts and self-service shoes through his growing retail chain.
- Taking the helm in 1996, Jeff Gordman, dedicated to preserving his grandfather’s sense of innovation and tenacity, led a repositioning strategy that included: changing the Company name from Half Price Stores to Gordmans, creating a new store prototype, strengthening the portfolio of brand names, developing a new brand personality based on the themes of fun, uniqueness and high energy, and communicating Gordmans’ everyday value-pricing message.
- The result of these efforts has been steady growth, and the repositioning helped Gordmans complete a successful initial public offering in 2010; (NASDAQ: GMAN).
- Forbes magazine ranked Gordmans No. 29 on its 2012 list of America’s 100 best small-cap companies, citing that these companies are leading America’s economic comeback.
- Apparel magazine ranked Gordmans No. 42 on its 2013 list of the Top 50 leading apparel retailers, recognizing Gordmans for profitability, product innovation and marketing excellence.
- While Gordmans operates within the value segment of the industry, it differentiates itself by offering a wide array of merchandise in a more upscale shopping environment. Gordmans’ open and contemporary store design is well-organized and infused with entertainment features including a children’s theatre called Gordmans Giggles and a sports-themed television viewing area called Gordmans Grandstand.
- Gordmans believes in giving back to the communities in which it operates. Since 2000, Gordmans has supported Partners in Education and has contributed more than $1 million to public school systems in markets where Gordmans has stores.
- This August, Gordmans has teamed up with the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) to promote ADL’s No Place for Hate® initiative to help eradicate hatred and bullying as students and teachers head back to school. Guests at Gordmans stores are invited to purchase “Helping Hands” for $1 each or more to support the initiative. Every dollar raised will directly benefit ADL’s No Place for Hate® anti-bullying initiatives.
- For more information about Gordmans, visit gordmans.com. Join the conversation on Gordmans’ Facebook page and Twitter, @gordmans.